SKYBOX: AKL Twitter FB

Follow us:
Twitter and
Facebook


Timely visit saves man from fire

CARALISE TRAYES
Last updated 15:49 29/05/2014

Relevant offers

A visit from a caregiver saved the life of an elderly man asleep while his house was on fire.

The caregiver arrived at a house in Hauiti Dr, Warkworth at about 8am today.

''When he answered the door the caregiver noticed the house was filled with thick, black smoke,'' Warkworth senior firefighter Devan Flewellyn said.

''The man had been breathing in the smoke while sleeping in bed. The caregiver took him outside and closed the door, calling 111.''

Firefighters arrived and found the smoke came from clothing close to a heater.

''The clothes had ignited and started burning the house,'' Flewellyn said. 

''We cleared all the smoke and made the house safe.''

The man was taken to North Shore Hospital in Auckland with smoke inhalation.

Firefighters said the situation could have been a lot worse if the caregiver had not arrived early.

The house had no working smoke alarms.

''That would have given an early warning of the fire to the man or to nearby residents,'' Flewellyn said.

''If you do not have a working smoke alarm you can contact your closest fire station, leave a message, and they will get back to you to organise a home fire safety check,'' Flewellyn said.

Ad Feedback

- Auckland

Special offers
Opinion poll

Is there enough support for new migrants once they arrive in New Zealand?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.