SKYBOX: AKL Twitter FB

Follow us:
Twitter and
Facebook


Man burnt in cabin blaze

CARALISE TRAYES
Last updated 15:42 23/06/2014

Related Links

Hatfields Beach cabin fire

Relevant offers

A man suffered serious burns after a cabin he lives in at Orewa Backpackers in Hatfields Beach caught fire this afternoon.

Waitemata fire volunteer support officer Ted Fuller was visiting a friend nearby so was the first firefighter on the scene at Hammond Rd just before 2pm after neighbours called the Fire Service.

''We got here and struggled at first to find where the fire was," he said.

"When we found the cabin it was already burning to the ground. We yelled out to check if anyone was in the cabin. One man was outside the cabin with severe burns so we grabbed him and put him in the hostel shower,'' Fuller said.

Neighbour Angela McGinley said her partner, working on a nearby subdivision, saw the smoke and called the fire brigade.

''We could see the smoke, it was pretty black and scary. We raced up the hill to find it,'' McGinley said.

The backpackers owners were not home at the time, but a number of neighbours helped dampen the fire until Silverdale firefighters arrived.

The man was taken to hospital by ambulance in a serious condition.

Police are investigating.

Ad Feedback

- Rodney Times

Special offers
Opinion poll

Have you ever been caught out by a TradeMe deal gone wrong?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.