SKYBOX: AKL Twitter FB

Follow us:
Twitter and
Facebook


Fire at Albany shopping mall

KELLY DENNETT
Last updated 10:19 12/08/2014

Relevant offers

Early morning shoppers were surprised to see a shop sign go up in flames on Auckland's North Shore today.

Emergency services were called to the Farmers store at Westfield Albany mall after its neon sign caught fire at 8.35am.

Albany fire station officer Athol Conway said the blaze was started by an electrical fault which burned out all the sign's writing.

''It was just actually the sign outside, nothing penetrated into the shops,'' he said.

The area is cordoned off in case the sign falls. It will be taken down later today. 

Shift manager Paul Radden said the Fire Service has ''no idea'' how the blaze started.

Three fire stations responded to the call but the fire was extinguished by the crew from Albany who was first on the scene.

Radden said  the firefighters ''had it all under control'' and the other two crews were turned back almost as soon as they arrived.

The situation is being monitored by the Fire Service in case the fire reignites. 

The mall​'s operations were not affected. 

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Have you already planned for your Christmas and New Year break?

Yes

No

What break

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.