A chlorine leak at Auckland's newly re-opened Tepid Baths is causing traffic chaos in the central city.
Fire communications shift manager Scott Osmond said about 70 people were swimming in the pools when about 50 litres of sodium hypochlorite - also known as bleach - was spilled on to an area round the pool from a 2000 litre container.
The substance went into drains and required the building to be evacuated, he said.
"No-one was hurt or affected but we had to cordon off an area round the pools," he said.
The spill had been cleaned up but there were reports of traffic being snarled up around the pool, which was located in the western edge of the central city.
The 98-year-old Tepid Baths reopened just last week, having been closed in 2010 for a $15.8 million restoration and upgrade. The overhaul included upgrading water and air treatment systems to modern standards.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you wear a lifejacket when you are on the water - no matter what vessel you are in?