SKYBOX: AKL Twitter FB

Follow us:
Twitter and
Facebook


Poison victims tried to borrow power

STACEY KIRK AND ROB KIDD
Last updated 12:05 26/11/2012
Carbon monoxide
JOHN SELKIRK/Fairfax Media

INVESTIGATION: Police and fire service staff in the garage at the house where five people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide
ROB KIDD/Fairfax NZ
CORDONED OFF: A police car at the house where five people were found with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Relevant offers

LATEST: Five Auckland residents hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning last night were believed to be running a generator in the garage because they couldn't get their power connected.

Ambulance received a call at 12.22am that five people were "on the ground" at a house in Jever Pl in the West Auckland suburb of Massey.

The group, two males and three females aged between nine and 53 years old, had been subjected to heavy doses of carbon monoxide believed to have come from a malfunctioning petrol generator.

A Cartmel Ave resident, whose property backs on to the house in question, said she was stunned when a man knocked on the door on Friday asking to run a plug between the houses because their power could not be connected until Monday.

"We were shocked by what he wanted to do and said it was illegal and very dangerous," she said.

A fire service spokeswoman said: "We arrived to find five people on the ground in the house all semi-conscious from carbon monoxide poisoning."

Police said a family friend had been called to the house by one of the occupants when they began feeling unwell.

"He arrived and found the occupants in a severe state of distress and notified emergency services," a police spokesman said. 

The group were all taken to North Shore Hospital. 

The house, which had a digger out front and looked to be under development, was cordoned off this morning and police were to begin a scene examination assisted by the fire service "to determine the cause of the high levels of carbon monoxide".

The police spokesman said initial reports were that a petrol generator was being used in an attached garage to supply power to the house.  

Doors and windows were open at the home this morning.

Neighbours leaving for work did not know the people living at the house but said they had recently moved in.

POISONED

October 2012: Kerry Alexander Murphy, 40, and Grant Christopher Wyllie, 49, die in an abandoned Coromandel mine while apparently operating a makeshift P-lab. Initial reports pointed to an explosion in or around the mine on the 309 Rd but police confirmed their death was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.

July 2012: Three people are taken to hospital suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in their Taranaki home. A faulty heater causes a ten-year-old boy and two women aged 38 and 57 to be exposed to increased levels of the gas.

December 2010: Ian Joyce dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in the family's caravan at Lake Alexandrina in Canterbury. The need for adequate ventilation in caravans, regular maintenance of their LPG appliances and the use of carbon monoxide sensors were all highlighted a month ago by coroner Richard McElrea in his interim findings into the death of the Timaru man.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

The Commonwealth Games are half way through. Have you been watching?

Yes

No

Don't Care

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.