Explosion at Northland school forced evacuation of nearby home
Fire crews have contained a chlorine gas explosion that forced a 100m evacuation zone around Ruawai College, north of Auckland.
Three fire crews were called to the scene at Ruawai College about 11.30am on Thursday.
A caretaker received minor injuries after breathing in the fumes and was taken to Whangarei Hospital for observation.
The explosion was caused by mixing the wrong products together, a fire spokesman said.
A home was evacuated after gas from the explosion started to spread, the spokesman said.
Ruawai College principal Raeleen Harre said the caretaker was not on their staff, but was visiting from nearby Ruawai Primary School.
Harre also said no one was in the pool at the time.