Police release CCTV footage of attacker in Auckland
Police have released CCTV footage of a car leaving an Auckland quarry, where a young woman woke up to find she was being attacked.
The woman called emergency services about 2.12am on Sunday morning, after waking to find herself in an unknown location with a man standing over her with a bat.
She suffered serious gashes to her head and face, a broken thumb and was "extremely traumatised".
Police said the woman managed to call police from her mobile phone after fleeing from the man, but did not know where she was.
READ MORE: Woman viciously assaulted in Auckland quarry
Over the next hour, the police call-taker kept the woman on the line as they tried to determine where she was.
She was injured and found in a distressed state in a timber yard by a police officer, and was taken to get medical help immediately.
Earlier in the evening, the woman had been in Ponsonby.
New footage, released on Tuesday, shows a car entering a quarry area next to a Timber yard on Sawmill Road in Riverhead at 1.45am.
At 2.01am, the car leaves again, this time at speed.
Police said they believe the car could be a 2008 Ford Mondeo, or similar.
"We believe it is highly likely that the victim is inside this car and possibly unconscious when the car enters the quarry," Detective Senior Sergeant Kim Libby said.
"We are consulting with automotive experts as to the possible make and model of this car, but we want to hear from anyone who may recognise this vehicle," he said.
The victim is still recovering from her ordeal and is speaking further with detectives.
She was out with friends in Ponsonby prior to the attack and does not recall anything from the time she was with her friends until the time that she woke up in the quarry.
Forensic tests have been taken to determine whether the offender has drugged or stupefied the victim.
Police are still working to identify and locate the man seen talking to the victim outside the Mobil station on the corner of Ponsonby and Karangahape roads earlier in the evening.
"This man is still the last person who has spoken to our victim before she has been attacked.
"This man may well be innocent but equally, we have to work on the strong possibility that this man could also be the man driving that car into the quarry.
"I am asking the public to consider whether they know anyone who fits the description of this man, who drives a car that looks like this, or someone who has access to a car that looks like this," he said.
"We are determined to find the person responsible for this terrible crime and I can reassure everyone that our enquiry team are doing everything we can to identify and locate this offender."