Man sent to hospital in a serious condition after fire in Wellsford
A man from Wellsford was rushed to North Shore Hospital with serious burns after a fire exploded in his face in the early hours of Friday.
The 22-year-old had been outside the Rodney Street residence attempting to light a fire with petrol when it exploded, causing second degree burns to his hands.
Emergency services rushed to the north Auckland property around 12.30am.
"It was a bit of an odd call really," Warren Marshall of the Wellsford Volunteer Fire Brigade said.
"We don't know why he was lighting a fire at that time of night."
A St John rapid response unit was already there when firefighters arrived and fortunately there was no fire to put out Marshall said. Though the man "was going into shock" from his burns, he said.
St John and firefighters worked together to help the man.
"We'd put him under a shower for about 10 minutes and gave him medication while an ambulance made its way from Warkworth," Marshall said.
"They were going to call in a Westpac Helicopter but his condition was downgraded."
The New Zealand Fire Service reminds everyone to be fire safe as people try to stay warm during the winter.