Paul Holmes off life support

Last updated 09:06 11/06/2012
Paul Holmes
Fairfax
STABLE: Veteran broadcaster Paul Holmes is recovering in hospital after having heart surgery.

Relevant offers

Broadcaster Paul Holmes is awake and off life support today following several days in an induced coma.

The 62-year-old was put into a coma at Auckland City Hospital last week to allow his body to recover following open-heart surgery on Wednesday.  

His wife Deborah Hamilton-Holmes said in a statement today that Holmes was stable, "progressing well" and was sitting up in bed and speaking with family.

He is expected to leave intensive care today.

"The family are obviously relieved and would like to thank everyone once again for their encouragement and support since the operation.

"They request some privacy over the next few days as Paul continues his recovery."

Over the weekend Holmes' daughter Millie Elder and wife said the Q+A host was strong and would pull through.

His family had been reading him the many letters and emails from the public.

Doctors have said there were no complications during the surgery to remove a blockage to his heart, and that he would spend several days in hospital before recovering at home.

Holmes was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, usually inherited, which results in the heart muscle thickening, making the heart work harder to pump blood.

In 1999 he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. In January he had surgery related to the cancer, telling a women's magazine it was to "correct some old stuff" after his earlier treatment and radiotherapy, "which tends to churn things up inside".

Holmes was flown from Hawke's Bay to Auckland two weeks ago after a Hastings cardiologist confirmed the condition.  

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers
Opinion poll

Are you happy with the council rates revaluation on your home?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.