Truck crashes into Porsche shop

Crash causes carnage at luxury car dealer

Last updated 14:30 10/08/2012

Relevant offers

A truck ploughed into a Porsche dealership in Epsom today, injuring two people and damaging several luxury cars.

LATEST: Police spokesman Lou Alofa said the truck was heading down Great South Rd toward Manukau when the crash happened at 11.25am.

Witnesses say a people-mover tried to do a U-turn on Great South Rd but it hit the truck, which lost control.

The people-mover "whistled" through the air and was airborne for around 10m.

Eleven cars and two trucks were damaged in the crash, and the crushed people mover was sitting on the opposite side of the road.

Alofa said some of the cars were pushed into buildings.

"We understand a number of the vehicles had occupants in them and they have sustained various injuries," he said.

Three people were taken to Auckland City Hospital, one with serious injuries and another with moderate injuries.

Inspector Cornell Kluessien said after hitting the people-mover, the truck "collected" a tow truck which had a car on the back of it. The truck pushed the tow truck into the Porsche dealership "where it has hit a few Audis and Porsches along the way".

He said the people-mover had also struck a few BMWs before coming to a halt.

Among the damaged vehicles was a new Audi A6 and a second-hand S6 collectively worth $180,000 along with a new Porsche turbo worth around $145,000.

Power was cut to Continental Cars Audi dealership. Access was blocked to both the Audi and Porsche dealerships meaning no pick-ups or drop-offs could take place, division manager Mark Bycroft said.

The cars suffered only cosmetic damage and are expected to be back at the dealers by next Friday.

Bycroft said he felt for the driver of the truck, who suffered serious injuries.

"This is a really busy access way, one of the busiest in the city.

"It's an unusual thing to have happened. Imagine if it happened after 3pm when all the kids are getting picked up. "

A witness at the scene, Brian Cox, said it was like "the Dukes of Hazard".

"I heard a massive great bang, I looked up and there was carnage everywhere," he said.

The man rushed to the driver of the people-mover and said he had suffered lacerations to his forehead, but the driver was conscious and breathing.

The Great South Rd and Manukau Rd intersection remained closed at 2pm as attempts were made to clean up the area and restore power.

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers
Opinion poll

Are you happy with the council rates revaluation on your home?



Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.