Family confused by South Auckland man's death
Relatives of the man found dead at his South Auckland home are as confused as anyone by the circumstances of his death.
Police said Papatoetoe man Michael William Roiall death on Monday was accidental, and it is understood it was the result of a home experiment that went wrong.
It's believed the 34-year-old was an amateur inventor and the home-made helmet, with which he was attempting to control electronic devices in his home, suffocated him.
Uncle Matt Roiall, 60, had heard his nephew was found with tape around his head and said he could not shake his “anger and disappointment”, because of the avoidable nature of the situation.
He described his nephew as an outgoing man who had had some get-rich-quick schemes in the past, but the idea of Michael being an inventor was a foreign concept to the whole family.
“To hear how it happened just angered me and I just think it’s a crazy way to go,” Roiall said.
“If it was natural causes or a car accident I could handle that, but him dying by himself, it doesn’t compute with me ... I’d rather someone say he was on drugs and had an overdose.”
Roiall said Micheal’s father and two older brothers had been struggling to come to terms with his death.
“A great guy who’s done some great things for us,” is how Roiall said he would remember his nephew.
Just recently Michael had been an "unbelievable help" building a fence.
He was someone with potential and Roiall said the whole family were asking the same question: "What was he thinking?"
An autopsy was completed on Tuesday morning, after which police confirmed the death was accidental.
Detective Senior Sergeant Albie Alexander said Michael's body had been found by family, who spent the evening contacting other relatives.
He would not be drawn on the specific circumstances of the death.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you wear a lifejacket when you are on the water - no matter what vessel you are in?