Bouncy castle thief guilty

19:41, Sep 11 2012

A 20-year-old Auckland man will be sentenced for, among other things, stealing a bouncy castle.

South African-born Jean-Pierre Bosman pleaded guilty before Judge David Harvey in the Auckland District Court yesterday to a raft of theft charges.

Bosman, a tall, skinny man, was apprehended after stealing a laptop and a hard-drive from a common room in the Fat Camel Hostel on Fort St in May.

He appeared in court yesterday facing a number of charges stretching back to November 2010 when he was working at Onehunga bouncy castle supplier Castlemania.

Bosman pleaded guilty to taking a Twister-themed bouncy castle home.

Castlemania owner Trudy Hurst said afterwards that the six-metre by six-metre castle had a replacement value of between $3,500 and $4,000.

Hurst said Bosman sold the bouncy castle to a rival castle company who tried to sell it back to her.

She said Bosman was a "really nice guy" who worked hard when he did work.

"Even after we caught him I couldn't not like him."

Hurst said she hired Bosman because he had worked at Onehunga Mitre 10, which was a good reference.

What she didn't know was that he had just been fired from there and when she went to his flat she found he had stolen a large inflatable pool from the hardware store.

The pool was not part of his court appearance yesterday.

As well as the bouncy castle, Bosman pleaded guilty to stealing two cars from panel beaters.

In one of the cases he took a car in for repairs at a business called Fenda Benda and then stole the courtesy car.

He said he needed it to go and get money to pay for his repairs but he never returned it.  

Bosman also pleaded guilty to stealing a laptop from a fellow resident at the Auckland Men's Shelter and taking a $125 taxi ride from the North Shore to Manurewa and then doing a runner.

Judge Harvey declined to sentence yesterday as he wanted reports into the suitability of various sentencing options.

Despite the offending being his first time before the courts, Bosman was remanded in custody until sentencing later this month as he had no suitable address to which he could be bailed.

Follow @AucklandNowNZ


Auckland Now