Cockroaches could close restaurant

MICHELLE ROBINSON
Last updated 12:06 12/09/2012

Relevant offers

Revelations of a cockroach infestation have damaged the reputation of a West Auckland restaurant to such a degree it may have to close for good.

Gengy's Restaurant in Henderson was closed for three days in February when a council inspection uncovered a cockroach invasion.

The Great North Rd Mongolian barbecue restaurant was given the lowest grading of E, but was allowed to reopen following pest control treatment. It now has a B grading.

Part owner Jaysh Kumar and Gengy's Investments Ltd were charged for breaching the food safety bylaw and food hygiene regulations.

The company was fined $750 and Kumar $700.

Kumar said he had since fired a manager for failing to maintain the cleaning schedule, and got rid of the pest control company used by the restaurant, but said the damage had already been done.

''It's been damaging to the business, really bad,'' Kumar said.

Kumar said he was out of the country when the cockroaches were discovered by an Auckland Council environmental health officer.

''When everything was switched off it was noticeable. The cockroaches hid under the fridge where it was warm but in the dark they came out.''

Cockroaches can spread bacteria such as salmonella.

The company responsible for the eatery's pest control is used by several eateries in the area. It has not been charged.

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Do you have a Kiwisaver Fund?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.