Two wards at Middlemore Hospital in Auckland are being closely monitored after a number of patients and staff fell ill with the infectious norovirus.
Four patients and eight staff have been taken ill with the gastroenteritis bug since Thursday and staff are taking precautions to stop the virus spreading further.
The hospital said there have been several admissions over the past few days of patients with gastroenteritis and it has been passed onto staff and patients in the two wards.
Although only a small number of people have been affected the hospital is taking the case seriously.
"You have a lot of sick people who could potentially get much sicker," said hospital spokesperson Lauren Young.
The hospital is advising anyone who wants to visit the hospital over the weekend to be in good health and to ensure they thoroughly wash their hands to help prevent the virus from spreading.
The two wards affected by the virus remain open.
Norovirus causes nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Have the new speed limit rules made you change your driving habits?