Man accused of year-long crime rampage
A man who allegedly went on a year-long crime spree targeting women across the North Island has appeared in court.
Teratutonu Herewini appeared in the Manukau District Court yesterday on multiple charges of theft, assault, possession of firearms and dishonestly taking vehicles.
"Police had been looking for him since September last year and he'd been actively avoiding us," Detective Sergeant Steve Ambler told Auckland Now outside court.
"He's responsible for these offences as far off as Kaikohe and as far down as Taupo. So there was a lot of police districts searching for him, he took some locating."
Ambler said the majority of charges related to offences committed in Auckland.
In August last year, the 26-year-old was allegedly in possession of cannabis for the purpose of selling or offering to sell.
Since then, the charges against him have grown to include stealing handbags, clothing and personal items from three women with a total value of $7760 between February and September.
It is also alleged he assaulted one of the woman as he fled after the crime.
In July he allegedly threatened to kill a woman who he is accused of assaulting two days later. He was also charged with having a pair of scissors with the intent to use it during the assault.
It is alleged Herewini also dishonestly took a Subaru valued at $9000 and a Nissan valued at $12,000 from two women.
Police also allege that in August, Herewini and two accomplices armed themselves with a rifle with intent to rob a person who the trio later assaulted.
The trio are also charged with dishonestly taking a $15,000 Honda and a $10,000 Nissan on separate occasions in the same month.
Herewini has been remanded in custody and will reappear in court on October 10.
- Auckland Now
Do you know who you are going to vote for in the 2014 general elections?