Warning over toxic shellfish

Last updated 13:21 17/11/2012

Relevant offers

A public health warning has been issued against people collecting shellfish along Auckland's coastline.

The Auckland Regional Public Health Service said routine shellfish toxin testing from the Manukau Harbour shows high levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PS).

Toxic shellfish have been detected as far down as Mohakatino, in the Taranaki, to Manukau Harbour and up to Kaipara Heads.

Shellfish including kina, mussels, toheoa, pipis, tuatua, oysters, cockles and scallops. Cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin. 

The ARPHS will continue to monitor the toxicity levels of the shellfish.

Symptoms of PSP usually occur 12 hours after eating toxic shellfish.

They include numbness and tingling around the mouth, face or extremities; difficulties in swallowing or breathing; dizziness or double vision. In severe cases people can experience paralysis or respiratory failure.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

How does your household celebrate Easter?

Church

Chocolate and hot cross buns

Time with the family

Good excuse for a long weekend

Other

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.