Family shocked at disappearance

MISSING: Arthur Eddie Cooper.
MISSING: Arthur Eddie Cooper.

The family of a North Shore man who went missing more than a week ago are baffled at his disappearance and have made a desperate plea to the public.

Arthur Eddie Cooper, 62, disappeared from his Birkdale home around 1.30pm on Thursday, November 22. 

His wife Sharon Cooper said she was at home with her sister-in-law when they noticed he did not return after going to retrieve something from his car. 

MISSING: Anna Hynes.
MISSING: Anna Hynes.

She said the family have gone through every possible scenario to make sense of his disappearance.

''I was talking to him just before he went outside to his car and he was saying something about looking for a plug for his waterblaster," Sharon said.

''A little while later I thought he had been gone for a long time so I started looking for him. I noticed his keys and shoes still inside but he had just vanished."

Cooper's wallet and phone are still at home and his family said they believe he only has the clothes on his back.
They have now made a desperate plea for anyone with information to come forward.

"Someone, somewhere must have seen something. If everybody thinks, 'what was I doing at that time, did I notice anything?' maybe we might get somewhere," his daughter Kylie Tracey said.

"It is not like him to just go walkabout. He never walks anywhere, not even down to the dairy."

Close friends have joined the family in searching all over the North Shore, including the Birkdale mud flats.

The police Eagle helicopter has combed the area almost every day since he went missing.

"He had a routine, he didn't like doing anything away from that. That's why we are all in shock as to where he could've gone," Tracey said.

Police were alerted to a sighting near the Shepherd's Park area in Beach Haven on November 23. 

They found a red sleeping bag and tarpaulin in the same area on November 28 but have not confirmed they belong to Cooper.

Search teams will continue to comb the Birkdale area.

He is described as European, of thin build, 178cm tall, with short grey hair and a ginger goatee beard.

At the time of his disappearance he was wearing a navy blue button-up collared shirt with short sleeves, blue jeans, a faded blue sun hat and sneakers. He may also have a black sweatshirt.

Anyone with information or who has seen Cooper is urged to contact North Shore Police on 09 477 5000 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Meanwhile, police also have fears for the safety of a South Auckland woman last seen three days ago.

Anna Hynes was last seen at her home in Manurewa by her husband around 7pm on Tuesday. 

She told her husband she was visiting a friend in Te Kauwhata that evening.

Police believe Hynes stayed with a friend in Te Kauwhata but she has not been seen since she left her friend's house.

She has also missing important appointments over the past few days, which have increased the fears of her family and friends.

Her husband believes she may have headed north to Taipa. Her bank account information shows Hyne last used her card on Tuesday. Her cellphone was last monitored on Wednesday but has now been switched off.

Manurewa Area Commander, Inspector Richard Wilkie said an e-text has been sent to Hyne's phone, asking her to contact police to confirm she is OK.

Police are urging anyone with information on Hyne's whereabouts to contact Counties Manukau Police on 09 261 1300 or to call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Auckland Now