BREAKING NEWS
Aaron Cruden left out of All Blacks trip to Argentina over alcohol incident ... Read more
Close

Cigarette butts set cafe alight

MARYKE PENMAN
Last updated 09:39 12/12/2012

Relevant offers

Hot cigarette butts set a rubbish bin on fire at an Auckland cafe last night, a fire officer says.

Firefighters were called to Dorento Cafe on Willliam Pickering Dr in Albany at around 6.20pm to find the kitchen engulfed in smoke.

Albany Fire Station officer Grant Mitcheson said they used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the building and evacuated the gym above the cafe.

"It looks to have been caused by careless disposal of cigarettes in the bin under the kitchen bench."

He said the fire caused smoke and heat damage, but it was contained in the kitchen area.

This morning, a cafe worker said they would be open for business while the damage was repaired.

Ad Feedback
Special offers
Opinion poll

Have you already planned for your Christmas and New Year break?

Yes

No

What break

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.