Two hurt in Auckland gas explosion

SARAH HARVEY
Last updated 13:09 13/02/2013

SlideshowMassey gas explosion


View Massey gas explosion in a larger map

Relevant offers

A mother and her son suffered extensive burns when a gas oven exploded at their West Auckland house this morning.

Fire Service spokesman Jaron Phillips said crews were called to the house in Lilburn Cres in Massey at 11.05am.

The pair both suffered burns - one to their back, arms, face and legs and the other to their legs.

They were helped by two relatives, living downstairs, who put out the fire and waited with them in a swimming pool on the property until emergency services arrived.

Both were transported to Waitakere Hospital by ambulance and were in a moderate condition.

Phillips said there was no fire after the explosion, but the house had been ventilated and the gas line to the property had been isolated.

Fire safety investigators were due at the property and the Energy Safety service would also attend, he said.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

How does your household celebrate Easter?

Church

Chocolate and hot cross buns

Time with the family

Good excuse for a long weekend

Other

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

News tip POINTER

Do you have an idea for a story? Email us or give us a call on 09 925 9700.