Fashion really does come in cycles
The saying "fashion goes in cycles" is taking on a new meaning next week as an innovative project brings style trends to the city on two wheels.
Frocks on Bikes and Cycle Action Auckland are presenting Cycle Style – two shows that co-coincide with the New Zealand Fashion Festival.
The events showcase current fashions paired with elegant transport "and you don't have to sacrifice one for the other", fashion co-ordinator Cleo Barnett says.
The main pedal-powered show includes models cycling around a tailored runway at Silo Park on March 3.
Five Kiwi designers and two new collections are appearing during the free afternoon.
"Bikes show a lot of personality," event manager Craig Neilson, from Cycle Action Auckland, says.
"They get customised and loved until they're more than just an object – the same as the fashions we've selected to put on show."
A specially produced vintage bikes and clothes Cycle Style event is also happening on Karangahape Rd on March 1 as part of the First Thursdays street party Ms Barnett produces.
Several op shops from along the street are dusting off a selection of their favourite pieces to be modelled during the evening.
Ladies on bikes donated for the show by R n R Sport will be pedalling around the street to showcase the fashions.
"The combination of vintage bicycles and vintage clothing is a recipe for an amazing and unique show," clothes buyer Lisa Kimura says.
She works with designer Kim Decke of stores The Op Shop and Metro Retro.
Both believe the concept is a fresh and fun way to bring their love of second-hand clothes to life.
"This is such a fun project for us, being able to embrace sustainability through vintage culture," Miss Kimura says.
Cycle Style is run by non-profit organisations but is endorsed by the New Zealand Fashion Festival which runs from today until March 4.
The festival was created as a way to make the exclusive New Zealand Fashion Week accessible to the wider public.
- Runs from today until March 4
- The festival is for the public there is something on offer for everyone.
- The Designer Garage Sale is on March 3 and 4.
- Confirmed designers and retailers include: Andrea Moore, Annah Stretton, Barkers, Bendon, Blak Luxe, Carlson, Celine Rita, COOP, Cybele, Helen Cherry, Huffer, Ingrid Starnes, Jimmy D, Juliette Hogan, Lennox, Lonely Hearts, Max, MisteR, Moochi, Pearl, Playtex, Ruby, Sabatini, Sable & Minx, Salasai, Starfish, Stolen Girlfriends Club, Storm, Sylvester, Taylor, Trelise Cooper, Whiri, Who's Henri, Workshop, WORLD, Zambesi.
- Visit www.nzfashionfestival.com for event listings and ticket purchases.
Auckland City Harbour News