Firefighters have extinguished a serious blaze at a house in the Auckland suburb of Blockhouse Bay.
They were called to the house on Blockhouse Bay Rd just before 11am today.
A neighbour said he could smell something burning for about 20 minutes before he noticed the smoke.
"It was so dark, I thought the place would blow," he says.
Nobody was in the house at the time.
The city bound lane of Blockhouse Bay Rd was closed from the intersection of New North Rd and St Jude St.
Police were also on the scene.
Avondale senior fire station officer Chris Lind said it appears an electrical fault is responsible.
About a third of the house is damaged, he said.
Do you wear a lifejacket when you are on the water - no matter what vessel you are in?