Fire at women's hostel
Neighbours heard screaming and saw distressed women on the road following a fire in central Auckland.
At least two dozen firefighters from four crews were on the scene in Mt Eden where a women's hostel was ablaze.
Another four crews were requested after firefighters discovered the "well involved" blaze.
The fire has been extinguished, but smoke is still emanating from the property and firefighters are at the scene dampening hot spots.
Police blocked off access to Lovelock Street while firefighters worked.
Lydia Veltman, who lives over the road from the hostel, made the call to 111.
She said the fire started about 2.50pm.
Flames were billowing out one of the hostel's second level doors, she said.
Firefighters arrived within 10 minutes.
She said she heard lots of screaming and saw many distressed residents on the road.
Nate McComish, 17, also lives opposite the hostel. He said the fire was so hot he could feel it from across the road.
St. John ambulance team leader Glen Hoult said three patients were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Hoult did not know what the injuries were but said they did not take any patients to hospital.
Fire service shift manager Paul Radden said fire safety investigators are looking into the incident.
He said the source of the fire had not been found yet.
Are our classrooms becoming overcrowded?