The dilapidated state of Puketapapa playgrounds has prompted local authorities to have them upgraded.
Late last year 10 playgrounds in the Puketapapa Local Board area were partially closed down for safety reasons, member Michael Woods says.
There are 22 playgrounds across the area.
"Most of the playgrounds in question are around 30 years old and these issues have arisen because of past neglect of the assets," he says.
"They should have been replaced some time ago."
The board worked with the Auckland Council parks department to assess each site and unsafe equipment was removed.
"The local board is now prioritising replacement so that local people have safe and interesting playgrounds to take their children to," Mr Woods says.
The Arthur Faulkner Reserve playground in Three Kings was replaced just before Christmas.
The board has scheduled to replace six other playgrounds this year and more in 2015.
The next to be replaced include Quona Reserve, Buckley Reserve, John Moore Reserve and West Reserve.
The board is urging people who use the playgrounds to answer a short survey about what they would like to see at the facilities.
"We will then work with our playground designer to incorporate community feedback as best we can," Mr Woods says.
The survey closes on January 20.
Go online to auckland council.govt.nz/puketapapa to take part in the playground survey or phone the local board office on 624 4941.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should we raise the retirement age?