Police close Howick party

01:33, Feb 12 2013

An 18-year-old's birthday party advertised through social media needed about 40 police to close it down.

Acting Senior Sergeant Jeremy Field says officers attending the "significant disorder" in Howick on Saturday night had bottles thrown at them.

The police Eagle helicopter and dog handlers were also called in to help close down the Wellington St party and disperse the crowd.

Mr Field says there may have been as many as 500 revellers.

"There were no arrests at the actual party but I understand there were some later on.

"Once the partygoers were dispersed there were small fights in neighbouring streets and so forth," Mr Field says.


He says the incident is a reminder for party hosts to keep numbers down to a manageable level.

Hosts are urged to inform the police of plans and provide a contact number to help prevent parties getting out of control.

A photo of the party on Facebook has gone viral with more than 14,000 likes and 800 comments.

Dozens of young people have been tagged in the photo with links to their personal profiles.

Youth education officer Senior Constable Adele White says people need to be on their best behaviour because they never know when things will end up in public.

"Unfortunately this is a product of social networking and because of the technology available to people these days there's a huge lack of privacy," Ms White says.

"When we are working in school with students we do warn them that once your photos and comments are inside that space they are there forever and they are surprisingly accessible to a number of people for a long period of time.

"This could certainly have an effect on relationships . . . in the future such as job applications and being considered for other positions of responsibility."

A complaint has been laid with the Independent Police Conduct Authority following allegations of police brutality after a 15-year-old girl was left bloodied with teeth knocked out in the wake of the party. Counties Manukau district commander Superintendent John Tims says the female says she was pushed by police.

"We are speaking to witnesses and also all the police officers that were present at the Wellington St event to ascertain exactly what happened," Mr Tims says.

Eastern Courier