Victim speaks out

UPSET: Harjeet Singh tracked down the thieves who stole from his store but he says police have done nothing about arresting them.
UPSET: Harjeet Singh tracked down the thieves who stole from his store but he says police have done nothing about arresting them.

Staff at a computer store thought they had an open-and-shut case on their hands when two thieves stole an iPhone.

They had the CCTV footage of the theft and with a little detective work they discovered where the offenders were.

But six weeks later the workers at Micro Computers are at a loss to understand why police haven't acted.

The police have been given the CCTV footage, the thieves' address and a witness to the crime, store technician Harjeet Singh says.

"The case is clear," he says.

The theft happened on October 17 at Micro Computers' store on Great South Rd.

Two men were caught from multiple angles by the store's surveillance cameras.

Workers checked the camera footage when they discovered the phone was missing and saw the men in action.

Mr Singh says one of them distracted him while the other reached behind the counter and stole the $1000 phone.

"When I turned around he just grabbed the phone and put it in his pocket," he says.

Two hours later another staff member spotted the duo across the road.

"I went out, saw them and came back to the footage to double check they were the guys," Mr Singh says.

When he returned outside the men were leaving in a taxi. But Mr Singh was in luck.

"I knew the taxi driver," he says.

He was able to identify the address on Burundi Ave in Clendon and when he checked it he spotted the thieves in the same clothes sitting outside the property.

Mr Singh went to Manurewa police station to make a complaint, armed with the CCTV evidence and the whereabouts of the perpetrators.

He arrived around 4pm but was told he would have to come back in the morning to make a complaint.

He did that and spent four hours answering questions.

He left after he was told an arrest would be made, he says.

Police arrived at the store the next day and asked for the cellphone's serial number. But it's store policy to take the serial number only when a phone is sold to a customer so the serial number could not be provided.

Police told Mr Singh they couldn't do anything without the serial number.

Store owner Gurjeet Singh is fuming about the police inaction.

When complaints are made about the noise from the stereo systems in his store someone is there within 10 minutes to make him turn them down, he says.

"And stuff happens to my shop worth thousands . . . it's been six weeks and nothing's happened."

He's also worried the lack of action could make the thieves think his shop is an easy target.

Since the incident someone had tried to saw through the locks on the shop's back door.

A police spokesman couldn't comment on Mr Singh's case but says officers are now looking into the investigation's status.

Manukau Courier