Lucky escape from Manurewa fire
Firefighters are damping down the smoking shell of a house after it caught alight in South Auckland this morning.
The house on Mahia Rd in Manurewa caught fire just before noon.
The blaze originated in a sleepout at the back of the property and "the wind just blew it right through", a neighbour said.
Windows were smashed and ceilings and walls inside were blackened.
Nine people, including two children, live at the house.
It is understood a few were inside when it caught fire but no-one was harmed.
Five fire engines are in attendance and traffic is backed up on nearby Great South Rd where diversions are in place.
Construction worker Norm Heller, who was working two houses down, said the damage was done in less than 10 minutes.
"It was very, very quick. By the time I came running down the flames were halfway through the house," he said.
"I smashed the windows running down and yelling to see if anyone was inside. Luckily, they all came running out the front."
Manurewa fire station officer William Pike says the blaze took 16 firefighters about 30 minutes to contain.
"The guys did a pretty aggressive attack and managed to confine it to the rear of the house."
It has sustained "quite significant" damage and the rear has collapsed, he says.
Firefighters are not yet sure how the blaze started.
- (Live Matches)
Have the new speed limit rules made you change your driving habits?