12-year-old boy found dead

Last updated 14:13 05/05/2012

Relevant offers

National News

Man dies after loader accident at Bluff port Council assets manager Vivek Goel under investigation Mitchell Starc's resistance ends as India bowl Australia out for 260 in Pune Review: The Lyon Sisters at the Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival Last Kiwi standing Jarrod Kenny warms to his task with peerless Perth Wildcats Premium motel rates 'danger money' for emergency housing risk Kiwis appear to be getting back their taste for alcohol Wandering balloon connects grieving families across the world Top New Zealand squash player Paul Coll loses epic five-game clash to world No 1 Parkvale School fraudster also took from ex-husband without his knowledge

Police have issued a warning on the dangers of huffing, after a 12-year-old boy died in a car park last night. 

Emergency services were called to a car park in New Brighton at 11.20pm last night, but attempts to resuscitate the boy were unsuccessful and he died at the scene.

Police believe the boy had been with a group of young people who had been sniffing butane from a canister.

Police say they are not seeking anyone else in connection with the death, which will now be referred to the coroner.

A post-mortem is expected to be held on Monday.

Detective Sergeant Earle Borrell said police were trying to find the person who sold the butane canisters to the boy.

The identity of the boy has not been released as next of kin have yet to be notified.

Police say that while the cause of death has yet to be confirmed, the incident highlights the dangers of people sniffing butane or "huffing" as it is known. 

Inhaling butane, known as 'huffing', can lead to a lack of oxygen in the body which causes suffocation.
 
Last year a teenager from Dunedin died as a result of butane inhalation.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content