New Zealand broadcaster Paul Henry's breakfast show in Australia has been canned less than a year after it first screened.
Channel Ten's Breakfast is being pulled from production after it failed to attract enough viewers.
Filming will end on November 30.
While Henry famously resigned from TVNZ in late 2010 after he was the subject of hundreds of complaints, there are rumours that the state broadcaster wants him back.
TVNZ may be chasing Henry for their new 7pm show, to replace Close Up, presented by Mark Sainsbury, National Business Review reported.
But TVNZ is keeping tight lipped.
"There's been all sorts of speculation of our new programme but we wouldn't comment on the structure or the staffing until we're ready to go," TVNZ spokeswoman Megan Richards said.
Mediaworks spokeswoman Rachel Lorimer would also not comment on whether the company was looking at hiring Henry, but said "we think Paul's great".
Henry was a co-host of TV3's Would I Lie To You, which finished in late September. He was juggling being the host of that show with his position at Channel 10.
Henry moved to Australia to breathe new life into Breakfast, which he hosted with Kathryn Robinson. But the show has never been able to attract as many viewers as its rivals since it launched in late February.
It attracted about a tenth of the viewers its competitors Sunrise and Today managed to pull in, according to news.com.au.
The show suffered a number of blows during its short existence, including the loss of co-host Andrew Rochford in June as well as the fall out from the axing of The Circle in July, which was viewed as a casualty of Breakfast's running costs.
Henry also attracted controversy when he suggested asylum seekers should starve to death. Both he and the network were compelled to apologise in August for the on-air remarks.
Last month news.com.au reported that Breakfast would return next year, despite the poor ratings, but there's been a change of tune from Ten today.
Breakfast has averaged around 40,000 viewers nationally per day since its debut.
"It is proposed that Breakfast and Ten Morning News will cease production on November 30," the network said in a statement. "Breakfast television still represents an opportunity for Ten and we will return to the breakfast TV market at some point next year."
Henry's move across the ditch followed his highly publicised resignation from Television New Zealand's Breakfast show in late 2010.
Henry was the subject of hundreds of complaints when he made racist remarks about the then Governor General Sir Anand Satyanand and mocked the name of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
He also called singer Susan Boyle "retarded".
Henry reportedly had a $1 million, three year contract with Channel 10
-FairfaxNZ and The Age
- © Fairfax NZ News