Carbon monoxide poisoning hits five

Last updated 10:45 26/11/2012
Carbon monoxide
JOHN SELKIRK/Fairfax Media

INVESTIGATION: Police and fire service staff in the garage at the house where five people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

Relevant offers

National News

Sydney police rush to domestic abuse call, only all was not as it seemed Family thanks community for helping buy van for son with CDKL5 Mitchell Santner poised for surprise debut as Black Caps turn to spin in Adelaide test Children guided to safety as Paraparaumu pub robbed Wellington bashing victim barely able to eat after 'random' late-night attack Successful New Zealanders celebrated at Moet event South Sydney Rabbitohs' salary cap woes leaves Sam Burgess deal in doubt Errors meant prisoner was wrongly allowed out on release to work Spaniel needs surgery after attack by another dog on Petone foreshore MP Clare Curran posts photo of invalid flag vote online

Five Auckland residents hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning last night were believed to be running a generator in the garage because they couldn't get their power connected.

An ambulance was called at 12.22am after a family friend found the people "on the ground" at the Jever Pl house, in the suburb of Massey.

The group, two males and three females, between nine and 53 years old, had been subjected to heavy doses of carbon monoxide, believed to have come from a malfunctioning petrol generator.

A Cartmel Ave resident, whose property backs on to the house in question, said she was stunned when a man knocked on the door on Friday asking to run a plug between the houses because their power could not be connected until today.

"We were shocked by what he wanted to do and said it was illegal and very dangerous," she said.

A Fire Service spokeswoman said: "We arrived to find five people on the ground in the house all semi-conscious from carbon monoxide poisoning."

Police said a family friend had been called to the house by one of the occupants when they began feeling unwell.

"He arrived and found the occupants in a severe state of distress and notified emergency services," a police spokesman said. 

The group were all taken to North Shore Hospital. 

The house, which had a digger out front and looked to be under development, was cordoned off this morning.  Police were to begin a scene examination assisted by the Fire Service "to determine the cause of the high levels of carbon monoxide".

The police spokesman said initial reports were that a petrol generator was being used in an attached garage to supply power to the house.  

Doors and windows were open at the home this morning.

Neighbours leaving for work did not know the people living at the house but said they had recently moved in.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content