Quade Cooper expected to stay with ARU

BRAD WALTER
Last updated 19:44 06/12/2012
Quade Cooper
Getty Images
SERVICES REQUIRED: Warren Gatland says the Wallabies need the unique skills of Quade Cooper.

Related Links

Quade Cooper poised for boxing hit out Quade Cooper's star sure to fade from view Quade Cooper quits the Wallabies - report Quade Cooper backs off Deans criticism Quade Cooper cops $50,000 fine for comments Wallabies not worried about Quade Cooper

Relevant offers

National News

Kiwis defeat Kangaroos for third time in a row to win Anzac test 26-12 in Brisbane New princess meets royal family members Mark Lundy convictions have cost taxpayer nearly $6 million Three found alive eight days after Nepal quake Dog invades rugby pitch for a taste of rabbit Key says minister willing to step down over brother facing indecency charges Phoenix eliminated from A-League playoffs after 2-0 home defeat to Melbourne City Floyd Mayweather Jr defeats Manny Pacquiao on points in Las Vegas bout Relief goods for Nepal quake victims held up at customs Hunt on for police search dog in Tararuas

Quade Cooper is set to announce on Friday that he is staying in Australian rugby union after accepting a revised two-year deal from the ARU.

The deal is believed to be similar to the A$800,000 offer the ARU took off the table following his public criticism of the game and the atmosphere in the Wallabies camp.

Cooper was hit with a record A$40,000 for the comments and virtually forced out of the code in Australia after being offered an ARU contract comprising of match payments and a A$100,000 bonus if he was to start in 60 per cent of Tests for the Wallabies next season.

He had already agreed to a three-year deal with Queensland, worth about $400,000 per season, but the Reds contract could not be activated unless he accepted the ARU offer and had been set to quit Australian rugby union.

However, QRU chairman Jim Carmichael has worked closely with his ARU counterpart Michael Hawker to prepare a deal acceptable for Cooper to stay and the 23-year-old playmaker is understood to have rejected a lucrative offer from France.

Ad Feedback

- Sydney Morning Herald

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content