Port fined for hiring strike breakers

Last updated 12:01 13/12/2012

Relevant offers

National News

Chris Cairns trial: Ex-NZ cricketer Lou Vincent has tough opening day on witness stand Fire rips through Taranaki school Asians prone to TOFI - thin on the outside, fat on the inside Wellington Airport avoids board of inquiry for runway extension resource consent Westpac Stadium looking at ways to improve concourse before Lions tour Family and friends farewell Levin boy Alex Fisher Port Nicholson Block Settlement Trust want to buy Wellington railway station David Seymour's voluntary euthanasia bill to be lodged in Parliament Infant dies suddenly in Southland Dog's barks alerts owners to fire at Tuatapere nursery

Ports of Auckland has been fined $40,000 for hiring strike breaking contractors during industrial action earlier this year.

In February and March the port employed an overseas engineer and local contractors to carry out engineering work when Maritime Union of New Zealand (MUNZ) members were striking over the port's contracting out plans, the union said.

The port has said it is disappointed with the fine imposed by the Employment Relations Authority (ERA).

MUNZ national president Garry Parsloe says the ERA decision places port management in an untenable position.

"Instead of focussing on settling a fair collective agreement, the port embarked on an unprincipled plan to sack their entire stevedoring workforce and replace them with contracted labour.

"Ultimately the costs of POAL's actions impact on the return to the people of Auckland."

Last month the union said it had not ruled out strike action over the Christmas break, as its dispute with Ports of Auckland drags on.

The two parties have been in facilitation at the ERA over their collective employment agreement since May 8.

Ad Feedback

- BusinessDay.co.nz


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content