Fire double blow for quake refugee

Last updated 15:10 23/12/2012
Robinson Street, Ashburton
SHEREE THOMPSON

EXPLOSIONS HEARD: Six fire engines are at the scene of a commercial building fire in Robinson Street, Ashburton.

Relevant offers

National News

King's High School teacher resigns after sexual relationship with student Shane Jones throws weight behind shifting Government welcome to Waitangi away from Ti Tii marae Shot putter Jacko Gill qualifies for the Rio Olympics to join Tom Walsh Barbie the adventurous ewe finds her way home, two years later New Plymouth-bound passenger ends up on wrong plane and lands in Tauranga Arrests follow armed standoff in Coromandel, gun fight reported in Kennedy Bay Booking website puts woman's name in wrong order on plane tickets Aaron Finch axed as Australia's Twenty20 captain Super Bowl 50: NFL MVP Cam Newton wears gold cleats with statistics on them French supermarkets must donate unsold food to charities, farms

An explosive fire destroyed two Ashburton business last night, one belonging to a former Christchurch business-owner and quake refugee.

Crews were called to an industrial site on Range St about 6pm to find Lignotech and its neighbour Advanced Upholstery ablaze and flames threatening New Zealand Couriers.

Ashburton chief fire officer Alan Burgess said there was still a lot of work to be done on the site.

The structures were so badly damaged it would be hard work to work out the cause of the fire, he said. "They are completely destroyed.''

New Zealand Couriers has some water damage, however, was able to rescue ''well in excess of 90 per cent'' of stock, Burgess said.

Advanced Upholstery is owned by former Cantabrians Sue and Brian Stockdale, who used to run an upholstery business on Cashel St.

The three business were housed in one large structure that spans between Robinson and Range streets.
Burgess said it appeared the fire began in the most southerly business and spread from one to the next.

It took six fire engines manned by crews from Ashburton, Rakia and Methven until about 11pm to bring the blaze under control.

An Ashburton fire watch house spokesperson said one of the businesses had gas cylinders it used for welding inside the building at the time and they caused explosions at the scene.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content