137 charges in sex abuse case

Last updated 09:19 23/01/2013

Relevant offers

National News

Nico Rosberg beats teammate Lewis Hamilton to win Abu Dhabi GP Andy Murray gives Britain the Davis Cup title after 79 years Couple who blew the whistle on doping in Russian athletics have no regrets Pink ball test gets thumbs up but take grass off the wicket, says McCullum Martin Guptill gets skipper's backing despite poor Australia test series Despite cooling of ties, Turkey will fly pilot's body back to Russia Black Caps fall short as Australia edge to three-wicket win in Adelaide Youth sets fire to three ATMs in Whanganui 2000 broken hopes at failed Wellington call centre Christchurch claimant says ACC system a 'money game'

New charges have been laid against a Marlborough man accused of sexually abusing teenage girls over 27 years, bringing the total number of charges against him to 137.

Blenheim police this week laid 78 new charges against the 64-year-old, whose name is suppressed, but the exact nature of the new charges cannot be confirmed until the man appears in court on Monday to answer them.

It is understood the new charges are mostly charges of possession of objectionable images, but include a charge of offending from one new complainant, bringing the total number of complainants to 10.

The man's lawyer, Rob Harrison, previously said the man would defend himself against the charges already laid, but said yesterday he had only just become aware of the new charges and had not yet seen the evidence.

Police confirmed the new charges would be added to the 59 charges they have already laid against the man since his arrest on August 31.

Those charges included three charges of rape and one of attempted rape as well as charges of unlawful sexual connection, grooming, making an intimate visual recording and possession and supply of drugs including LSD and cannabis.

One of those charges related to an incident in 1985; the other charges ranged from 1993 to 2012. Police confirmed the combined charges would make up the case against the man in any forthcoming trial.

Blenheim police prosecutor Sergeant Mark Harris said police would investigate any new complaints they receive against the man; if any new charges are laid they will be laid separately.

Ad Feedback

- The Marlborough Express

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content