Kiwi who died at X Factor named

TIM DONOGHUE
Last updated 09:26 28/01/2013
Edward Andrews
COLLAPSED: Edward Andrews, seen here with partner Cathy Pearce, died after collapsing at auditions for talent show X Factor in Sydney.

Relevant offers

National News

Cotton On worker in Australia suffers traumatic brain injury after 90kg pallet falls on her Jennifer Lawrence: 'I haven't felt the touch of a man for a while' Ngai Tahu head Sir Mark Solomon's stand down followed damaging spat with CEO Depressed Taranaki mother sentenced for attempted murder suicide plot Otago students caught on camera with picnic table relocation stunt Christchurch home searched in Marcus Tucker homicide inquiry Troubled swimmer Grant Hackett admits he has a problem with booze North Korea sentences Korean-American to 10 years hard labour More Kiwi travellers report problems with passport scanning machines Kiwis star Kieran Foran sends thank you text after prescription drug overdose

A funeral for the former Wellington man who died after collapsing while preparing to audition for the X Factor in Sydney will be held later this week.

Edward Andrews collapsed on Friday and was taken to St Vincent's Hospital where he died soon after arrival.

His father, also named Edward Andrews, said his son left for Australia about 10 years ago where he worked as a forklift operator in Sydney.

The 33-year-old, who had attended Wainuiomata College, lived with his partner Cathy Pearce and their son Jaiden. The cause of death was not yet known.

"He Facebooked me on January 9 to wish me a 59th birthday," Andrews said.

Media reported Andrews had been rehearsing his song on his own while waiting to face the show's producers in Sydney when he collapsed and was treated by medical personnel at the scene.

His father, who lives in Porirua, will travel to Sydney on Wednesday to attend his son's funeral service later in the week.

None of the show's celebrity judges were at the audition, which was to determine which contestants would appear at filmed auditions later this year.

Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Guy Sebastian, Ronan Keating and Melanie Brown are yet to confirm they will be returning to the Seven Network ratings juggernaut, which last year was won by singer Samantha Jade.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content