Commuters will soon know if transport planners have listened to them and reopened the Wellington St motorway on-ramp.
The road was closed 15 months ago as part of the Victoria Tunnel project but was not reopened despite getting a $1 million-plus makeover.
Thousands of North Shore commuters have since then been forced to crawl through city streets to access the motorway at Ponsonby or Fanshawe St.
The Herne Bay Residents Association says the 7000 cars that used the on-ramp are now clogging surrounding streets to get on to the motorway.
The Transport Agency and Auckland Transport came under fire from councillors last week with Cameron Brewer saying the continued closure was "bizarre bureaucracy". Mr Brewer called for the process to be sped up.
The Transport Agency said on Friday - two days after the council meeting - that the decision will be revealed this week.
‘The NZTA and AT will start advising key community and stakeholder groups about their decision before the wider Auckland public is informed," Stephen Town, the Auckland regional director said in a statement.
There is no indication of what decision has been reached.
He confirms that 70 per cent of submitters to a survey carried out by the two planning groups want the ramp reopened.
The agencies had earlier been reluctant to reveal the figure. They said they were consulting with stakeholders and analysing submissions from the public before feedback was provided to the council.
Shore councillor George Wood doesn't think reopening the ramp will have a major impact on traffic in the Victoria Park Tunnel and urges authorities to look at traffic flows first hand.
"After the initial round of consultation we've had more consultation and now we've more," Mr Wood says.
Council transport strategy manager Kevin Wright suggests the ramp could be opened at different times as a trial.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you think it's right for dairies to sell legal highs?