Cigarette butts set cafe alight
Hot cigarette butts set a rubbish bin on fire at an Albany cafe last night, a fire officer says.
Fire fighters were called to Dorento Cafe on Willliam Pickering Dr at around 6.20pm to find the entire kitchen engulfed in smoke.
Albany Fire station officer Grant Mitcheson says they used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the building and evacuated the gym above the cafe.
"It looks to have been caused by careless disposal of cigarettes in the bin under the kitchen bench."
He says the fire caused smoke and heat damage, but it did not extend outside of the kitchen area.
An employee of the cafe this morning confirmed they will remain open for business as they undertake repairs.
Do you wear a lifejacket when you are on the water - no matter what vessel you are in?