Puppy helps to heal

ANNA LOREN
Last updated 08:42 08/01/2014
Thys Family
BLOWN AWAY: The Thys family, from left: Dad Kevin, Aleisha, 8, mum Katherine and Bella, 6 months, are in love with their puppy Roxy

Relevant offers

A young family whose two dogs died of poisoning has been "well and truly blown away" by an unexpected act of kindness.

Kevin and Katherine Thys and their young daughters Aleisha and Bella lost their two dogs Lucy and Pablo in late December.

The much-loved pooches died within 24 hours of each other after ingesting poison, believed to be snail pellets.

Shane Hancock, the chief executive officer at Acres Pet Products, says his staff were moved to action after reading about the family's plight in the Papakura Courier.

They partnered with the charity Dogs Aren't Disposable to rehome Roxy, a german shepherd cross puppy, with the family.

Roxy was delivered to their Alfriston home in time for Aleisha's eighth birthday.

Acres also donated a year's supply of pet food and paid for a year of pet insurance. Dr April Jones from The Ardmore Vet will cover the cost of spaying the puppy and any medical issues that arise over the next 12 months.

Mr Thys says Roxy is settling in well and has "cemented her place" in the family.

He is overwhelmed by the kindness of everyone at Acres.

"Things like this absolutely prove that there is good in this world."

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Are our classrooms becoming overcrowded?

Yes

No

Don't Care

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Hot deals

Local business directory