CANOE MID

CHANCE TO WIN!

Stand-up Paddle Board


Firefighters douse holy smoke

Last updated 05:00 31/07/2014

Relevant offers

A Catholic priest's dinner went up in smoke while he was visiting a neighbour.

The Helensville resident ducked out to have a quick chat to his neighbour and got distracted, Helensville fire chief Ian Osborne says.

His house, alongside the St Joseph Church building on Puriri St, is connected to a privately monitored smoke alarm.

"Smoke from the priest's smouldering dinner filled the house and triggered the alarm, and we were alerted," Osborne says.

"We arrived at his house, much to his surprise. He came out from the neighbour's place and saw us there and wondered what had happened," Osborne says.

"We laughed that it wasn't holy smoke coming out of his kitchen."

Ad Feedback

- Rodney Times

Special offers
Opinion poll

Are our classrooms becoming overcrowded?

Yes

No

Don't Care

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Hot deals

Local business directory