Bushfires threaten homes
A fire started by fireworks at Manly came very close to three houses on Moreton Dr early on Saturday morning.
Firefighters responded quickly and there was no damage done to the homes.
Fireworks are believed to have triggered two bush fires during the weekend.
"We were called to a bush fire racing up the side of a cliff and endangering a house in Manly at around 3am on Saturday," Silverdale and districts deputy chief fire officer Shayne Kennedy says.
"Four trucks and around 25 staff responded and knocked the fire back after around two hours."
The five occupants were evacuated and no-one was hurt.
Firefighters were on site until around 10am dampening hot spots.
"Fireworks started the fire," Mr Kennedy says.
"We couldn't find the people responsible, but we believe it was started from people having a bonfire at the beach and letting off fireworks."
Three nearby houses under threat were saved.
Firefighters fought another bush fire at Army Bay on Sunday night.
"We had a second big one out at Pacific Pde," Mr Kennedy says. "Someone had been lighting fireworks by bush. Fireworks had got into the dry bush and set it alight. We were there for two to three hours containing the fire.
"Both Silverdale and Manly brigades were much busier than last year," he says.
"Things are extremely dry out there which doesn't help."