The Rodney Times was first issued in Warkworth on March 29, 1901, by Alfred Walter Charles de La Roche.
The real estate agent and former Tauranga weekly paper owner bought a Kaipara and Waitemata paper The Gazette and charged three pence for the new Friday paper called The Rodney and Otamatea Times.
He sold it in 1904 and moved to Helensville to carry on real estate and establish another paper.
A succession of Rodney Times owners followed - five in 16 years - then the Cook family began its nearly 88 year ownership with William Thompson Rauparaha Cook in 1917 until third generation family member Tony Cook sold the free twice-weekly paper to Fairfax New Zealand in 2005.
The Rodney Times office is now based in Orewa.
Original owner De La Roche's first editorial stating "we throw our columns open to our readers...." applies just as much today.
The Rodney Times has reported on many changes as the Rodney district developed from a milling and pioneer dairy farming scenario to a mix of farming, horticulture, lifestyle blocks and townships.
The district has grown rapidly in recent years as more people come to enjoy the natural beauty, particularly the beaches, the rural outlook, the Kumeu and Matakana wine regions, farmers markets and more. It's now well established as Auckland's weekend and holiday getaway.
One of the main growth areas, the Hibiscus Coast, has become part of the Albany ward, while the Rodney ward is servicing the mainly rural area under the Auckland supercity.
The Rodney Times will remain the area's voice, while sister paper North Harbour News (Hatfields Beach to Albany) is well positioned to serve the new Albany ward.
To contact Sales Manager Pauline Caley email: Pauline.Caley@fairfaxmedia.co.nzor phone: 09 426 5024 or 09 4219123.
- Rodney Times