Dead pig comes ashore

02:12, Jun 17 2014

A rescued dog on a log stole headlines but storms that swept through Auckland also left a pig washed up on Waiheke Island.

Residents discovered the dead animal on Palm Beach this morning, among the debris that floated in from the wild weather.

A King Tide hit parts of Waiheke last night and left a collection of tree branches and other rubble onshore. 

The black bush pig was among a pile of sticks, Palm Beach resident Vibeke Brethouwer said.

She said she suspected the pig may have been washed downstream from Great Barrier Island, which was badly hit by storms last week.

"I don't know how it got there, whether it's left over from the storms I have no idea for sure," she said.


"Someone had warned me and said there's a dead pig down there. I thought I'd go down and have a look. It was a bit icky. I hope it's not stuck there too long, the poor thing."

Brethouwer said the mess on the usually pristine beach was the worst she had seen in the eight years she has lived there.

Most of Auckland was spared from King Tides last night, after widespread warnings of storm damage.

Authorities were on high alert but there was no reported flooding or major roads blocked off, a New Zealand Transport Agency spokesman said.

Meanwhile Great Barrier Island residents are continuing their clean-up.

The storm was believed to be the biggest to hit the island for at least 40 years, Chair of Great Barrier Island Community Board Izzy Fordham said.

"It was one sharp hit," she said. "It was really severe for us. Our roading guy who's been here for 40 years said it was the worst one in that time."

But she said people were glad it wasn't worse.

"The fortunate thing is nobody's lost a house. Everyone's still got shelter and warmth which has been great. On the whole we consider ourselves incredibly fortunate."

The main street - Aotea Road - remains out of use for motorists.

Fordham said she was urging people to stay off the road, as it went under repairs.

The full extent of the clean-up may take months, she said.