Last-ditch effort to allay quarry issues
An air of conciliation is blowing over the future of the Stoney Ridge quarry.
A panel of independent hearings commissioners resolved last month the quarry should close down, a decision which is being appealed by Auckland Council Property Ltd, the council controlled organisation that is responsible for the island's only quarry.
Its spokesman Peter Burn told members of the Waiheke Local Board at its monthly meeting the intention is to "get some mediation" with Auckland Council and solve some of the issues raised by the hearings commissioners.
If talks are successful, the matter will not have to go to the Environment Court.
"ACPL has taken the view the quarry is an essential service to Waiheke and the costs of bringing raw material is probably five times the cost it is now."
Mr Burn says ACPL has offered up several ideas in terms of mitigation in order to keep the quarry open.
"We would limit the landscape gardening hours to six days a week, closed on Sunday, and seal the road to the landscape garden centre to ensure we've done a good job in terms of mitigating the dust."
He says ACPL has moved the crusher back into the amphitheatre of the quarry to lessen noise. It is also working with Ngati Paoa to resolve their concerns.
"We are doing all we can to eliminate the environmental impact at this stage."
If the mediation is unsuccessful by December 20 the future of the quarry will be resolved in the Environment Court.