Bus service review meets opposition
The island is at risk of losing one of its bus services.
Letters about the proposed removal of the 1A service along Seaview and Waiheke roads were sent to affected parties but not everyone got one, according to Seaview resident Barry McCamley.
The service has already been temporarily suspended during road works and the letter says once the works have finished a decision will be made about removing the service permanently.
Auckland Transport spokesman Mark Hannan says Auckland Transport is reviewing the bus services along Seaview Rd following incidents where passenger and driver safety has potentially been put at risk because of the physical constraints of the road.
"In addition to safety, low patronage is also an issue on this service, on average just one or two people use the three morning trips each day," he says.
Mr Hannan says the Waiheke Local Board was advised last month and affected residents were sent the letter on February 25. They have until March 21 to make submissions.
Waiheke Local Board transport spokeswoman Shirin Brown says Auckland Transport has been told if it wants to build interest in public transport it needs to provide the service.
"Also, islanders who use it are severely inconvenienced if they don't have it. It's a long and currently dangerous walk to the nearest bus stops. As such we'd like the service to continue."
Mr McCamley operates a small guest facility in Seaview and says he and his wife and guests are regular users of the service.
He believes the removal of the service would be a retrograde step.
"Seaview Rd is an increasingly used road which services not only the residents but also the school, guest facilities, vineyards, backpacker lodge, wineries, restaurants and other businesses," Mr McCamley says.