Dangerous building may need demolition
An Auckland building damaged by flood waters may be demolished.
The Probett Building in west Auckland was issued a dangerous building notice after flash floods on March 12 severely damaged it, and caused erosion around the building and a footpath to cave in. A small crack had also developed in the building.
An Auckland Council spokesperson said the owners of the Probett Building in New Lynn were "considering their options" regarding the future of the building.
The spokesperson said whether demolition was a possibility was the decision of the owners and council could not comment.
But a document from the Auckland Civil Defence and Emergency Management (CDEM) and Auckland Council dated March 16 said Building Control was "commencing the statutory process to allow for demolition of part of the structure for safety considerations".
Under the Building Act 2004 a dangerous building is one which, in the ordinary course of events, is likely to cause injury or death to any persons in it, or to persons on other property. This included by collapse, but excluded earthquakes.
Under Auckland Council's Earthquake-Prone, Dangerous and Insanitary Buildings Policy the council must identify dangerous buildings and inform the owners, and occupiers of the building, to take action to reduce or remove the danger.
If the building was considered immediately dangerous, the council would take any action necessary to remove the danger - this included prohibiting persons using or occupying the building and demolition of all or part of the building, the policy said.
Calls to the building's property manager went to an answerphone.
The building's neighbours were concerned. Agnes Tua said she thought the building would come down if it was not demolished. Resident Justin Wang said he would not let his children near the building. He said he had not been told anything about what would happen next - and the building was a danger.
The Civil Defence document said building assessments continued to be carried out to establish the nature of the damage, and repair times. Eight properties had been issued with yellow stickers which restricted access.
Debra Clarke from Auckland Lock Services in New Lynn had been allowed back in to her shop on Great North Rd yesterday after being yellow stickered.
She said council posted a note on the window allowing access, and an insurance loss adjustor had been.
"There is a light at the end of the tunnel."
Civil Defence said it was moving from the response to the recovery phase after the damage caused by the floods.
The authority was looking at the "possibility" of setting up a relief fund to help those in need after a number of people in the community offered to help those affected.
The document said 31 people had been affected by the floods - 15 from Glen Eden,12 from New Lynn and 4 from Glendene.
Support would be made available for affected businesses as well.
General manager business, innovation and skills, Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development Patrick McVeigh said it would look at options to support businesses in New Lynn.
"We will be working closely with the local business association and the local board to help businesses get up and running, and link them with support networks that can provide further assistance."