Smoke alarms save the day

Last updated 05:00 14/02/2014
Fire Applicance

ELECTRICAL FAULT: Three appliances attended a house fire in Te Atatu South.

Relevant offers

A quick-thinking neighbour called 111 before a fire in a two-storey Te Atatu South home got out of control on Tuesday morning.

Fire crews were called to Alwyn Ave at 9.20am after the woman heard smoke alarms going off.

Te Atatu fire station officer Geoff Gardner says nobody was at homewhen the blaze broke out.

"She heard smoke alarms and the fact they were working meant we managed to catch the fire before it went through the floor and upstairs," he says.

"It was a good save."

Mr Gardner says there was "lots of smoke damage" to the home and investigators said the fire originated in an electrical fault in the hot water cupboard.

Mr Gardner stresses the importance of working smoke alarms.

Ad Feedback

- Western Leader

Special offers
Opinion poll

When it comes to holidaying in New Zealand do you choose to drive or fly?

Fly

Drive

Neither

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Advertising in the Western Leader works for The Mad Butcher

Advertising in the Western Leader works for The Mad Butcher

Download Western Homes
Hot deals