Second chance for royal pranksters
The radio presenters behind the royal prank that went horribly wrong will be back on air in time, despite their show's official axing by Southern Cross Austereo (SCA).
SCA chief executive Rhys Holleran said the network was looking forward to having Michael Christian and Mel Greig back at work in roles yet to be decided.
The pair's Hot 30 show was taken off the air after nurse Jacinta Saldanha took her own life in December, following a furore over the on-air prank by Sydney-based Christian and Greig.
SCA announced the show's demise on its Facebook page on Sunday, directing followers of the show to a page for its replacement, The Bump.
"We look forward to Mel and MC returning to work when the time is right, in roles that make full use of their talents - we will discuss future roles with them when they are ready," Holleran said in a statement today.
Last month Christian and Greig called the London hospital where Prince William's pregnant wife Catherine was being treated for morning sickness and were put through to her ward by Saldanha, who apparently took her own life after the hoax was widely publicised in the British media.
The Indian-born nurse was found dead in her lodgings near King Edward VII's Hospital in central London on December 7.
Christian and Greig have not spoken publicly since giving two television interviews following Saldanha's death.
However, Hot 30 producers Ben Harlum and Emily Mills, who were also involved in the prank, have apparently kept their jobs, tweeting about their involvement in the new show.
The Bump will air across Australia on Monday and will be hosted by fill-in presenter Angus O'Loughlin.
WHERE TO GET HELP IF YOU ARE DEPRESSED
Lifeline: 0800 543 354
Depression helpline: 0800 111 757
Youthline: 0800 376 633
Samaritans: 0800 726 666
In an emergency, dial 111