BREAKING NEWS
Third round technical knockout for Joseph Parker ... Read more
Close

Disney mines the 'force' for flicks

Last updated 13:48 06/02/2013
Obi-Wan Kenobe
20th Century Fox
GOOD FEELINGS: Disney announces standalone movies to accompany the new Star Wars trilogy.

Relevant offers

Entertainment

Miss Peregrine author Ransom Riggs on flea markets, Florida and unusual fascinations New Superman Tyler Hoechin set to make his debut on Supergirl Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie agree to temporary custody deal People are more concerned by offensive language on radio: research What to expect when Naz Khanjani and Bella Henry fight Sensing Murder, or sensing nonsense? REVIEW: Shona Laing, Sharon O'Neill and Debbie Harwood still worth a listen Top gender scholar to lead Beyonce college course Two Van Gogh paintings recovered by Italian anti-Mafia police Canadian prog rockers Black Mountain hit Auckland's Tuning Fork

Walt Disney Co. chief executive Bob Iger said Tuesday (NZT Wednesday) that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone ‘Star Wars’ movies that aren’t part of the new trilogy that’s in the works.

‘‘There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films,’’ Iger told CNBC.

Iger said the movies would be based on ‘‘great ‘Star Wars’ characters that are not part of the overall saga’’.

The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’.

Disney confirmed last month that ‘Star Trek’ director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the ‘Star Wars’ saga.

Disney bought ‘Star Wars’ maker Lucasfilm last year for more than US$4 billion.

The last ‘Star Wars’ trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content