Auckland state houses worth millions
New Zealand's 10 most expensive state houses are all in Auckland and together are worth a whopping $20.92 million, according to figures from Housing New Zealand.
The lineup of homes included a one bedroom property in Auckland's Orakei worth $1.9 million.
But the most expensive was a three bedroom home on Westmere's Savage St with a book value of $2,542,674.
With views of Jaggers Bush Reserve and only a short drive from the central city, the house is sitting on hot property in an area that had soared in value in the past few years.
* Eleven more Special Housing Areas announced across Auckland
* State housing group pickets community provider over Government sell-off
* State housing shortage could pose problem with an influx of people
The house itself had nearly doubled in value from a reported $1.28 million book value in 2012.
Its tenant, who did not wish to be named, had called the Savage St residence home for 12 years.
While the street had a high proportion of state houses, she had watched the wider suburb climb in value.
"We've enjoyed all our years here - you get the views, the free concerts and it's central to everything," she said.
"I love it in this area."
The state house was a family home where the woman and her husband had raised their three children.
The boys, two of which had since moved out into flats, had all attended St Joseph's School in Grey Lynn.
Both she and her husband were currently unemployed.
The total sales revenue from 10 most expensive state houses sold between January 31, 2012 and January 31, 2016 came to over $14 million.
The $13,876,000 racked up by the Government through these sales is invested into creating more social housing of the right type, in the right areas to meet demand.
A two bedroom home in St Heliers fetched more than $2 million when Housing NZ sold it off through Unlimited Potential Remuera in December 2015.
In January Social Housing Minister Paula Bennett said there were more than 2300 people on Auckland's state housing waitlist, some of whom would wait up to six months for a home.
NEW ZEALAND'S TEN MOST PRICEY STATE HOMES:
1. Westmere: $2.54 million, three bedrooms, 100 square metres.
2. Remuera: $2.44 million, three bedrooms, 110 square metres.
3. Mangere East: $2.33 million, four bedrooms, 98 square metres.
4. Remuera: $1.964 million, three bedrooms, 90 square metres.
5. Remuera: $1.96 million, three bedrooms, 90 square metres.
6. Ponsonby: $1.96 million, four bedrooms, 150 square metres.
7. Ellerslie: $1.91 million, four bedrooms, 100 square metres.
8. Orakei: $1.91 million, one bedroom, 60 square metres.
9. Epsom: $1.91 million, two bedrooms, 80 square metres.
10. Orakei: $1.91 million, two bedrooms, 100 square metres.
Source: Housing New Zealand.