Jono and Kelly's win big at dairy awards
Tussock Creek sharemilkers Jono and Kelly Bavin are celebrating after they won the 2015 Southland-Otago Sharemilker-Equity Farmer of the Year Award.
The Bavins were named the overall winners in front of about 550 people at an awards dinner at the MLT Events Centre in Gore on Saturday night.
Jono, 32, said he was "pretty happy" with their win.
"We've been in the industry 15 years and it's pretty satisfying to win this award - we've put in the hard work," he said.
Jono also paid tribute to his wife Kelly, 29, describing her as his "rock".
"She keeps me in line and keeps me level," he said.
Jono and Kelly Bavin will now progress to the New Zealand Dairy Industry Awards in Auckland on May 2.
The Bavins are in their third season 50 per cent sharemilking 500 cows for Blair and Rachael Evans at Tussock Creek.
It was the second time the Bavins had entered the awards and they also picked up five merit awards for leadership, health and safety, recording and production, farm environment and risk management.
During the night's proceedings, master of ceremonies Robert Reid performed a rendition of Pharrell Williams song 'Happy' with a dairy farming twist.
Clydevale 50 per cent sharemilkers Russell and Tracy Bouma were runners-up in the sharemilker-equity farmer contest, while Mokoreta equity sharemilkers James and Fleur Worker were third.
The other big winners on the night were Nick Templer and Anieka Venekamp, the 2015 Southland-Otago Farm Managers of the Year, and Jeremy Anderson, the 2015 Southland-Otago Dairy Trainee of the Year.
Nick and Anieka are in their third season contract milking 650 cows for Lyall and Jan Hopcroft at Balfour.
Anieka said they were a "bit shocked but happy" about their win, but she joked that she was slightly gutted that she would have to make good on the promise of a jetboat for Nick.
"I told Nick if we won, I'd get him a jetboat," she said.
Second in the farm manager contest was Winton farm manager Irving Solis, while Edendale contract milkers Mick and Jess Annan were third.
Southland-Otago Dairy Trainee of the Year winner Jeremy Anderson is 2IC (second-in-charge) on Mike and Cindy Adams' Otautau farm milking 940 cows and is employed by Marty and Amy Heath.
Jeremy grew up on a sheep and beef farm but became a qualified builder before switching careers to dairy farming.
Second in the dairy trainee contest was Waituna herd manager Jamie MacDonald, while Heddon Bush trainee manager Ron Gardiner was third.
Nick Templer and Anieka Venekamp and Jeremy Anderson will join the Bavins in May in Auckland.
Sharemilker-Equity Farmer Merit Awards:
- DairyNZ Human Resources Award - James & Fleur Worker
- Ecolab Dairy Hygiene Award - James & Fleur Worker
- Federated Farmers of New Zealand Leadership Award (Presented with Wayne Cook Memorial Award) - Jono & Kelly Bavin
- Honda Farm Safety and Health Award - Jono & Kelly Bavin
- LIC Recording and Productivity Award (Presented with Terry Bently Best Livestock Memorial Award) - Jono & Kelly Bavin
- Meridian Energy Farm Environment Award - Jono & Kelly Bavin
- Ravensdown Pasture Performance Award - Russell & Tracy Bouma
- Triplejump Risk Management Award - Jono & Kelly Bavin
- Westpac Business Performance Award - Russell & Tracy Bouma
Farm Manager Merit Awards:
- Bell Booth, Claude Wuest Memorial Encouragement Award - Mark & Nic MacGillivray
- Landpro Environment Award - Nick Templer and Anieka Venekamp
- Shand Thomson Leadership Award - Nick Templer & Anieka Venekamp
- Fonterra Best Practice Award - Irving Solis
- New Zealand Farm Source Management Award - Irving Solis
- Primary ITO Human Resource Management Award - Wayne Ashmore
- Westpac Financial Planning and Management Award - Nick Templer & Anieka Venekamp
Dairy Trainee Merit Awards:
- The Wrangler Most Promising Dairy Trainee Award - Marc McNatty
- AWS Legal Farming Knowledge Award - Jamie MacDonald
- Clutha Vets Karen Vreugdenhil Memorial Leadership Award - Teresa Walters
- DairyNZ Practical Skills Award - Jahvis Benbow
- The Southland Times