Firm denies charges over security guard's death
The firm that employed a security guard who was killed at a West Auckland construction site has pleaded not guilty to charges of failing to secure his safety.
Charanpreet Dhaliwal, who was employed by CNE Security Limited, was killed on his first night of work at a Henderson construction site in November last year.
The 22-year-old was assaulted and died from head injuries.
Hateni Kaufusi Latu, 27, has been charged with his murder.
Last month the Department of Labour charged CNE Security with failing to secure Dhaliwal's safety.
At that time the Council of Trade Unions also launched a personal grievance claim on behalf of Dhaliwal's family with the Employment Relations Authority, claiming unjustified disadvantage.
"The circumstances which put him on that worksite are really some of the most outrageous," CTU president Helen Kelly said.
As a mother, Kelly said, she would not have let her son work on the remote site, which had already been burgled.
"The fact that Charanpreet was here (New Zealand) without his mum, without anybody to check on that, he probably assumed New Zealand law would keep him safe. It's an absolutely shocking work site there."
Kelly said the union was alleging, based on police evidence, Dhaliwal did not have a health and safety briefing, didn't have communication equipment and was only shown around the site he was securing at 10.30pm on the night he died.
Dhaliwal's mother, Karamjit Kaur, was recently in New Zealand and visited the scene of her son's death and met with Kelly.
CNE Security will appear at the Waitakere District Court for a status hearing on October 15.